Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Tropical Ambrosia Shortcake
Makes 8 Servings
1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/3 cup Flaked Coconut, Toasted
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Cold Butter, Cut Up
1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 tbsp. Milk
1 8-oz. container Frozen Whipped Dessert Topping, Thawed
1 8-oz. can Crushed Pineapple (juice pack), Drained
1 cup Strawberries, Hulled and Quartered
3 Kiwifruits, Peeled, Halved and Sliced
1 11-oz. can Mandarin Oranges, Grained
1 cup Tiny Marshmallows
1/4 cup Dry-Roasted Macadamia Nuts, Chopped
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, coconut, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg, sour cream, and milk until smooth. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork, just until moistened.
2. Using a 1/3-cup measure, drop 8 mounds of dough onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in 400 degree oven for 12-15 min. or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
3. In a medium bowl, fold together whipped topping and pineapple. Cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble.
4. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, kiwifruits,oranges, and marshmallows.
5. To serve, use a fork to gently split the shortcakes in half. Divide about half of the pineapple mixture among the 8 shortcake bottoms. Top with fruit mixture. Add shortcake tops. Top with remaining pineapple mixture and sprinkle with nuts.